Thursday, August 7, 2008

Post Visit to My New Home in Dogbo

Early last Wednesday morning I left Porto Novo w/my directeur (principal of my school) for a 3.5 hour taxi ride to Dogbo. After my first round trip taxi ride to Dogbo and back, let me say that I will never complain about being uncomfortable in a car at home again! I don't think I've ever even been in a car at home as old as the ones here. Yet, despite rain pouring through the roof and having 4 people in the back seat for 3 hours, the rides were generally pleasant because I was travelling with other peace corps trainees.

Upon arrival in Dogbo I was greeted by the administration and the board of the parent's association. The volunteer currently posted there (who I'll be replacing) was also there, as well as one of the two other female professors out of a faculty of 55. She is a French professor, and I'm really hoping we can become good friends. To maintain my professionalism, I can't really spend a lot of time with my male colleagues outside of school, so I'm looking forward to seeking out the few other females.

After taking a tour of my school and going out for lunch, everybody accompanied me to meet the mayor and the chiefs of the local and state police. I also had the good fortune of arriving on marché day (market day), which happens only once every five days. Although there is a small market everyday where I can buy stuff, the big market is just huge and chaotic with lots of variety! Lauren (the current volunteer) and I spent some time walking around the marché and I asked her the fair prices for just about every single thing I could see. I'll need to learn the local language of Aja quickly so I can more easily discutez prices w/the mama's at market!

The next two days were mostly just spent with Lauren walking around town and hanging out. She pointed out some important places- like her tailor and the pharmacy, as well as who will give me a fair price on toilet paper and which mama to stop at for good beans and rice. She also introduced me to a French family working at a local hospital and a Dutch couple in town with an NGO.

Friday was actually Benin's independence day, so we watched a ceremony with the mayor at a local moument and then a cute little parade. Actually, the only people in the parade were the state police, local women's organizations, and then all the local taxi/moto drivers. Quite the interesting assortment....hehe...

The parade ended by mid-morning and we spent the rest of the day relaxing and cooking cornbread for both of my neighbors. As you can see from the picture, I live in a concession, which is basically one building with a walled in yard. I have the middle house of the concession (so the middle door in the picture), and the people on both sides are so nice. Lauren said they always help her with anything/everything, so that's reassuring. Apparently both families love cornbread. Peace Corps gives us a cookbook and Lauren has prepared them other things like chocolate cake and peanut butter cookies, but I guess they don't really like it. The cornbread is such an easy recipe, but apparently they are baffled by it. They were so happy to hear that I know how to make it! I'm actually really excited to start experimenting with a Dutch oven and work out some good recipes. If anybody has any good recipes please send them along!


Anyway, overall, Dogbo seems pretty great and I can't wait for the next 4 weeks to go by so I can move to post and get started. Lauren is switching posts and moving to replace a different volunteer in a furnished apartment, so shes leaving almost everything behind. As you can see, it's a lot of furniture and shes leaving most kitchen stuff behind. It's so lucky for me because it makes moving that much easier, and maybe I'll use some of my move-in money to buy a couch!


As for the next 4 weeks...we just started model school this week, so I'm officially Madame Kristin!

5 comments:

Ryan said...

2 great posts! I love the pictures. Looks like you have a really nice place to live also! I got your facebook post... i'll try and work that other phone site out sometime soon. Its definitely cheaper than skype! Talk to you soon!

Drew Lee said...

Hey Kristin, nice hair.
Sounds like you're having fun and adjusting very well. I wish I was in Benin.
Hope you are staying happy and healthy.

Nice house...
I'll try to write and send some Soju, but 3-5 weeks for a letter, wow!

Emma said...

wow! your house looks great...i can't wait to see it in person ;)

love the cornrows, i think it's going to be a lasting look for you.

miss you!

Anonymous said...

wow! your house looks great! i can't wait to see it in person ;)

and i hope you're bringing the cornrows back to the states...

miss you!!

Adrienne said...

I love that you sing songs with the kids. Every job I have ever had involving children has involved constant song singing, from Summer Camp all the way down to toddlers.

Im writing you an email right now :)