Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Post!

At the beginning of September I will be moving to the town of Dogbo! It's in the southwestern part of the country, about 3 hours or so from the largest city of Cotonou (so pretty close). I'm also very close to the border of Togo, so I'll be able to easily make a few trips there. Dogbo has about 4,000 people, so it's not really the small village I was hoping for, but oh well. The fact that it is in the South and a larger town means I will have relatively regular access to fruits and vegetables, whereas some people in the North wont at all in some seasons. I'll also be able to easily travel to larger towns and cities to buy basically anything. I don't think there is internet in Dogbo yet, but the nearby city of Lokossa has internet, and I think its about 45 minutes away by taxi, so not bad. I'll be expecting letters from everyone though!!!!!

I'll actually be replacing another English teaching volunteer in Dogbo, which is both exciting and a little sad. Exciting because I will inherit her house and most of her stuff hopefully (which I hear includes couches!) But its also a little sad, because I'll have to deal with peoples' expectations based on what her and other volunteers have done. Ooooh...also, I'll have electricity, running water, and even a toilet! Not gonna lie, definitely a little dissapointed about that...not the all-out rural I expected, but I have plenty of friends to visit around the country with those conditions, so I'm feeling pretty grateful :-) .

I'll be meeting my school principal tomorrow and traveling with him to Dogbo from Wednesday to Sunday, so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Great to see some pictures! It sounds like you are settling at least for the time being. Can't wait to hear where you will be stationed!

Keep the posts coming!

D-Wood said...

Congrats on your post! And you're complaining about running water and toilets? Something tells me you'll appreciate that once you see your friends' accommodations. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new setting, and I promise I'll write ya soon (is the address on ur blog homepage still valid?). Take care!

Anonymous said...

Aw, this is all so exciting!
I can't wait to hear more and to actually talk to you.
Only a year before I come visit!
I miss you so so much!
Glad everything is going well.
<3<3