Monday, November 16, 2009

mr. the post of dogbo is not high on my list of favorite people right now...

So, even after that long letter I had to write to get the post box in the first place, and even after all the sucking up I've done in the last 7 months to the lady who works at the post office so she wouldn't steal my mail (I bake her banana cake all the time), turns out that all means nothing now that 3 boxes are waiting in a back room with my name on them. Normal post lady is on a 3 month vacation in the North and she introduced me to her replacement a week and a half ago. Turns out he came to work last Monday morning to put a note in P.O. box saying 3 new packages had arrived, and then he put up a sign saying he would return at 3 pm. Well...over a week later the sign is still there and he hasn't been back. Oh Benin.

Because it's Benin there really isn't anyone to get in contact with about it. I stopped at a phone station next door and asked if they knew and the guy told me to be patient and wait out this week, "surely they'll send someone eventually," he said. So, my Dutch friend gave me the post lady's cell number and today I went to talk ask my friend who is the mayor's secretary about it. They hadn't heard a thing (even though all of the hospitals, NGOs, and schools in town have a PO box, I guess none of them have noticed or seem to care). So, if the man doesn't come by tomorrow I have an "appointment" with the mayor in the afternoon to inform him in hopes that he can talk to somebody. If not, I'll have to interrupt the post lady's vacation and possibly head to the regional capital on Friday to talk to the post office people there. If it's my thanksgiving package I need it!!!!!!

In other news...things are good. I've officially got 2 kids out 40 to send e-mails to their new US penpals. I'm basically going to be spending every afternoon for the next 4 or 5 weeks at the cyber teaching them how to use computers. So far so good though...

2 comments:

Pat Sulewski said...

Yes that is the Thanksgiving package waiting in the post office. It also has a Birthday card and a special present to snack on!!
Love Mom

loehrke said...

As a parent one of the MOST frustrating things for me about having a child in the Peace Corps in Benin was the lousy mail service. 7 of my first 8 letters to Carly never arrived (one was returned to me in Michigan over a YEAR after I sent it!!). I stopped sending letters. Packages were a LITTLE better but definitely not 100%. I still wonder who swiped the package that had the Bruce Springsteen concert tee shirt that I had sent to Carly. And the power trips that some of the postal workers would go on at times would just make me CRAZY!!!!
So you have my sympathy. Good luck on being patient. I am SURE you have already done better than I would!!!
Stay healthy, Mark Loehrke (Carly's dad)