Monday, September 1, 2008

Le Bebe-Foot

Every once in a while, you see a random foosball table sitting outside of somebody's house that you can play for 25 Cfa (about 7 cents). So yesterday I was out with 2 Beninese friends and, being the foosball competitor that I am, nonchalantly asked what they called it. They informed me that it's called "le bebe-foot" and asked if I wanted to play. It was kind of crazy because it was all made of wood and then the little men are actually steel. The table was kind of falling apart too, but I still managed to beat my friend 5-0.

Well after this little fun match, the two teenage boys from the house that owned the table got interested that a white woman actually beat an African man at something. So the two of them came out and both decided to take a turn against me, which really took no more than 30 seconds for the both of them before I scored twice. Wellll...let me tell you...they were shocked. So then of course, Papa has to come out to teach this yovo woman a lesson. He was actually pretty good and a formidable opponent, but I still managed to outscore him by quite a bit. By now there was definitely a crowd of about 12 people standing around, and as I continued on to beat Papa all of their laughter was just making him angrier and angrier. So then he demanded that we switch sides of the table. The other side was actually much worse, so he finally starting scoring more, but he also starting cheating by picking up the ball and moving it under his man whenever it was stuck somewhere and the men couldn't reach it. After he did it about 5 times I finally told him he couldn't do it and that it's cheating. Well everyone just starting laughing hysterically that this woman was calling out Papa on cheating and beating him at the same time. When he finally finished he just turned around and walked away, and everyone else was just eager to get to the table. In the end I have no idea what the final score was, but it was probably the proudest moment of my foosball career (except maybe for the first time I beat my brother Andrew :-) ).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

USA!! USA!! USA!!

Almost an Olympic moment...

Love, Papa

Anonymous said...

See... arent you glad we spent all those nights staying up late playing foosball in the basement?

D-Wood said...

DO WORK!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts...I wish you were here for me to walk down the hall at the oaks and talk to! I am glad to see you're having a great experience and kicking some fooseball butt all the while! Take care & God Bless!

Anonymous said...

incredible! hahaha...you've kicked my arse in foosball before!

we are at the airport right now in hawaii waiting to board for micronesia... its an 8 hour flight, but we have to make 3 stops so the plane can be searched - then we get back onboard. weird...

amicronesianplum.blogspot.com check it out...hopefully i'll have regular connection after my 9 wks of PST.

love,Alex